Adobe has announced that Lightroom 5.3, together with an update to Camera Raw 8.3 for Photoshop CC and CS6, are both available now on Adobe.com and through the updater. This release provides additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom.
In particular, I’m happy to say that this release for Lightroom takes care of two very serious issues that have plagued Lightroom users for some time:
1. Incorrect photos selected in the Publish Service view;
2. Output sharpness and noise reduction not applied on exported images.
These two fixes alone make this a very important update, but there are a host of other bug fixes, as well as support for many new cameras that have been released since the last update – including the iPhone 5S.
So, get your updater revved up and grab the latest version, you’ll be glad you did.
Oh, and if you aren’t already using Lightroom and Photoshop together, Adobe has extended their Photoshop Photography holiday sale through December 31 – $9.99 per month for Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, plus feature updates and upgrades as they are available, 20GB of cloud storage for file sharing and collaboration, and a Behance ProSite.
Here are the details of the updates for Lightroom 5.3 and Camera Raw 8.3:
Newly added support for Tethered Capture in Lightroom 5.3
Canon EOS Rebel T4i / EOS 650D / EOS Kiss X6i
New Camera Support in Lightroom 5.3
Canon EOS M2
Canon PowerShot S120
Nikon 1 AW1
Nikon Coolpix P7800
Nokia Lumia 1020
Olympus OM-D E-M1
Olympus STYLUS 1
Phase One IQ260
Phase One IQ280
Sony A7 (ILCE-7)
Sony A7R (ILCE-7R)
New Lens Profile Support in Lightroom 5.3
Apple Apple iPhone 5s
Canon Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Canon Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Canon TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD A011E
DJI Phantom Vision FC200
Nikon Nikon 1 NIKKOR AW 11-27.5mm f/3.5-5.6
Nikon Nikon 1 NIKKOR AW 10mm f/2.8
Nikon Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G
Nikon Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon, Sigma Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A013
Sony Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM
Sony Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM
Sony Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G SSM II
Sony Sony E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Sony Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
Sony Sony E 20mm F2.8
Sony Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sony Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA
Sony Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
Bugs Corrected in Lightroom 5.3
- Issues when upgrading catalog from previous versions of Lightroom.
- Incorrect photos are displayed after switching away from a Publish Collection.
- Catalog optimization did not finish, and was not optimizing the catalog
- Feather of clone spots is set to 0 after upgrading catalog to Lightroom 5.
- Auto White Balance settings are not saved to Snapshots.
- Sony 18-55mm lens is detected as the Hasselblad 18-55mm lens for lens correction.
- Increased Update Spot Removal history steps when in Before and After view.
- Slideshows start playing automatically even when the Manual Slideshow option is enabled.
- On certain images, red eye removal behaved incorrectly
- Incorrect White Balance settings applied when synching Auto WB from source to targets
- Video playback stops when dragging on the scrubber.
- Errors when publishing photos to Flickr through the Publish Service.
- Option + drag on Edit Pin behavior is functioning incorrectly.
- Black border appears around the exported slideshow video.
- Catalog containing images processed with PV2003 were adding a post-crop vignette when catalog upgraded to Lightroom 5.
- Pressing the “Reset” button while holding down the Shift key caused Lightroom to exit abruptly.
- Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction were not applied to exported images that were resized to less than 1/3 of the original image size.
- The Esc key did not exit the slideshow after right clicking screen with mouse during slideshow playing.
- Import dialog remained blank for folders that contain PNG files with XMP sidecars.
- Metadata panel displayed incorrect information after modifying published photo. Please note that this only occurred when metadata was changed after the photo was published.
- In the metadata of exported files, the application is listed as 5.0 instead of the actual Lightroom version (such as 5.2, etc.).
- An Error Occurs When Playing a slideshow having an image Flipped Horizontally or Vertically.
And for Camera Raw 8.3:
All the new camera and lens profile support listed above for Lightroom 5.3
New Features in Camera Raw 8.3
- Auto straighten: You can automatically straighten a picture in three ways: (1) double-click on the Straighten Tool button icon in the toolbar, (2) with the Straighten Tool selected, double-click anywhere within the preview image, and (3) with the Crop Tool selected, press the usual command key (on Mac) or control key (on Windows) to temporarily switch to the Straighten Tool, and double-click anywhere within the preview image.
- Whites and Blacks now support Auto Levels-like functionality via shift-double-click on the sliders.
- Added separate Auto Temperature and Auto Tint feature. Shift-double-click to invoke “auto temperature” and “auto tint” separately.
- Added feature to set the background color of the work area and toggle the visibility of the hairline frame around the image. Context-click outside the image in the work area to select an option from a popup menu.
- Added option-click shortcut in Synchronize, New Preset, Save Settings, and Copy/Paste (Bridge) dialog boxes. Option-click a checkbox to check that box exclusively. Option-click again to toggle previous checkbox state.
Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 8.3
- ACR froze when sampling point curve on image with spot heal/clone adjustments.
- Incorrect White Balance settings applied when synching Auto WB from source to targets.
- On certain images, red eye removal behaved incorrectly.
- Some Olympus E-400 raw files showed maze / checkerboard artifacts.
- Double-click with radial filter tool was not working properly for cropped images.
- The bit depth preference (i.e. 8-bit or 16-bit) was not “sticky” when running Camera Raw under Photoshop Elements.